After 1st half of the project lifetime RAPIDE partners reported about their activities and results to the AMPEU- Agency for mobility and EU programmes. First interim report for period March - December, 2021 was submitted and positively evaluated.
This is a short overview of the performed activities and achieved results:
Project Management and Implementation
The project coordinator (FOI) started initial project activities with project partners by holding bilateral preparatory meetings where the roles and responsibilities of each partner were discussed and time-lined. The bilateral meetings were held online in March and April, 2021 and served as preparatory sessions for the online kick-off meeting of the project that was held on: April 21-22, 2021.
After the kick off meeting, further online/hybrid coordination meetings were organised with all partners present: July 15, 2021; August 20, 2021; September 6, 2021; October 4, 2021; November 16, 2021; December 15, 2021.
Also, a number of bilateral and multilateral online working meetings were organised during the reporting period regarding the activities and plans within IO1, IO2 and IO3.
During the first three months the project coordinator, in cooperation with partners, developed the following managerial and dissemination documents: Project Management Plan (including Risk Mitigation Plan), Dissemination and Communication plan, Quality Assurance Plan (including project templates and Peer Review template for internal IO review).
Significant effort was invested in the preparation, coordination and execution of the hybrid events in the reporting period: 2nd and 3rd transnational meetings and LTT1 and LTT2 events. This included both the organizational and technical support to online and onsite participants of the events.
The status of the intellectual outputs:
- IO1 Open educational resources and e-course for flipped classroom (FC) and work based learning (WBL).The lead partner (The Open University) coordinated and finalized IO1 with project partners: https://rapide-project.eu/en/results.
The following activities within IO1 were performed during the reporting period: the literature review was performed during (April-July) 2021. The work was distributed in groups: the 1st coordinated by FOI was responsible for the literature review in the area of flipped-classroom and the 2nd, coordinated by the OU performed literature review in the area of work-based learning. The IO1 resulted also in two research papers submitted and/or accepted for publishing in highly ranked scientific journals. Once the papers are published, they will be made available to research and a wider audience via all project channels.
As part of IO1 in IO1.2 the best practice teaching scenarios were prepared according to the co-designed template by project partners (June 2021). Partners conducted semi-structured interviews (June-September 2021) to gather direct experiences from teachers. For the purpose of these interviews the project Info Sheet/Consent Forms were also prepared and distributed. The activity resulted in 9 full showcases prepared and presented to the LTT1 participants. The materials are available within RAPIDE e-course. In the next reporting period the project partners plan to prepare research articles to share results with a wider scientific audience (by April, 2022).
The e-course ‘LET’S GET FLIPPED’ was designed by the team from the Faculty of Organization and Informatics to host 4 project chapters: learn.rapide-project.eu. The 1ST chapter LET’S INNOVATE TEACHING is a result of work in IO1. The course is designed to fulfil the plan to provide 2 ECTS workload that encompasses preparation activities (Prepare! LEARN INDEPENDENTLY), training activities (Engage - LEARN TOGETHER) and post training activities (Extend! - LEARN BEYOND).
- IO2 TOOLKIT FOR ASSESSMENT OF STUDENTS IN FLIPPED CLASSROOM AND WORK BASED LEARNING: The activities within IO2 were coordinated by the Delft University of Technology with the contribution of all partners. The activities have started according to the original project schedule in June 2021: partners performed literature review that again is going to be submitted for publication in highly ranked scientific journals and collated best practice examples on student assessment in an online environment, prepared the showcases on how to implement peer and project assessment and presented them at the LTT2 hybrid event held at TU Delft on 16-18, November 2021 with 23 participants. Now, the partners are in the process of defining functional specifications and development of the tool for peer assessment and project assessment for an open source LMS. Also, the first draft of the 2nd e-course chapter on student assessment to support FC and WBL is created and partners work on its finalization according to the further work and quality feedback received during LTT2. The materials are available in chapter 2 at: learn.rapide-project.eu
- IO3: LEARNING ANALYTICS FOR FLIPPED CLASSROOM AND WORK BASED LEARNING :The activities within IO3 started as planned in November 2021, under the coordination of FOI and with the contribution of all partners. The partners started to work on literature analysis and gathering best practice examples on implementation of learning analytics (LA) in innovative teaching approaches and research student and teacher perspectives on learning analytics use. Also, the coordinator of this IO started coordination with the partner Goethe Uni regarding the LTT3 event that is scheduled for April 27-29, 2022 and where the first results of work within IO3 will be presented. The IO3 is expected to be finalized by September 2022.
- IO4: CODE OF PRACTICE FOR HEIS ON IMPACT ANALYSIS OF INNOVATIVE PEDAGOGIES: The lead partner (Uni Goethe) started with first activities with all project partners by gathering strategic national and institutional documents regarding research and higher education. The partners started with literature analysis and preparation of semi-structured interviews with decision makers (level of project partners). The results will lead to the development of methodology for measuring impact of implementation of FC and WBL in an online environment on strategic goals and the development of Code of Practice. The IO is planned to be finalized by December 2022.
Transnational Project Meetings
- Kick-off - the meeting was held on April 21-22, 2021 as a two day online event coordinated by UNIZG-FOI
- 2nd transnational meeting - the meeting was held as a hybrid event at FOI/Zoom platform on September 6, 2021, prior to the LTT1 event of the project.
- 3rd transnational meeting - The meeting was held as a hybrid event at TU Delft/Zoom platform on November 16, 2021, prior to the LTT2 event of the project.
- The first LTT activity - “Let’s innovate teaching” was performed in M7 at FOI, following the 2nd project meeting. The plan was to have at least 20 participants (24 at most) in the LTT1 - 4 participants from every partner institution except from UNIZG 8 (4 from FOI and 4 from SoM). LTT1 activity was held for 3 days (September 6-8, 2021) with 39 participants.
- The second LTT activity - “Let’s innovate assessment” was performed in M9 at TU Delft, following the 3rd project meeting. It is conceived as “train the trainers activity” for teachers from partner institutions. The plan was to have at least 20 participants (24 at most) in the LTT2 - 4 participants from every partner institution except from UNIZG 8 (4 from FOI and 4 from SoM). LTT2 activity was held for 3 days (November 16-18, 2021) with 23 participants.
- The third LTT activity is scheduled for April 27-29, 2022 at Goethe University.
Total of 39 participants of the LTT1 “Let’s innovate teaching” have been educated through collaboration through regarding experiences of using flipped classroom and work-based learning in the teaching, environments were shared with participating organisations: The Open University, Goethe University, Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Organization and Informatics of UNIZG and Open University, through work in groups as part of practical activities, dissemination and presentation of group results, evaluation of MOOC materials.
Total of 23 participants of the LTT2 “Let’s innovate assessment” have been educated by discussing the literature review and best practice examples of assessment in online environment, peer assessment (PA) and peer review (PR), joint reflection and analysis of cases and relation to joint platform were given, design parameters and important variables for design and evaluation of PR and PA have been collected and will be used for the further work on the project.
The impact on the target groups and relevant stakeholders has been achieved by publishing and presenting of the project results, also via dissemination channels, described below:
- RAPIDE project coordinator, Full Prof. Blaženka Divjak, Ph.D. and project member, Petra Žugec, PhD from Faculty of organization and informatics presented the project research results (Reliability measure of online assessment within Mathematics; Divjak, B., Žugec, P.) at the 22nd Scientific-Professional Colloquium on Geometry and Graphics held on September 5-9, 2021 in Čiovo, Croatia, in organization of the Croatian Society for Geometry and Graphics.
- As part of the CALRG conference , Prof. Bart Rienties, PhD. from OU UK presented on June 15th 2021 the work created with RAPIDE project team Blazenka Divjak, Francisco Iniesto, Katarina Pažur Aničić and Mirza Zizak and Iona Jivet „Online work-based learning: a systematic review“, which is directly connected with the results (IO1) of the RAPIDE project.
- Asst. Prof. Nikola Kadoić, Ph.D. (University of Zagreb, Faculty of Organization and Informatics, Croatia) presented on Wednesday, May 19th 2021 as part of the Temscon conference / Engineering Management IV section the article “The use of decision-making methods to ensure assessment validity” by authors Full Prof. Blaženka Divjak (University of Zagreb, Faculty of Organization and Informatics, Croatia), Asst.Prof. Nikola Kadoić, Ph.D. (University of Zagreb, Faculty of Organization and Informatics, Croatia) and Asst.Prof. Bojan Žugec, Ph.D. (University of Zagreb, Faculty of Organization and Informatics, Croatia). The article is connected with the RAPIDE projects results and scope.
- Project coordinator, prof. Blaženka Divjak, PhD and associate assist. prof. Petra Žugec, coordinated a roundtable titled Utility framework of course assessment supported by learning analytics within Workshop on Learning Analytics and Assessment at LAK21 Conference held online April 12-16, 2021.
Partners prepared two submitted papers that are currently under review:
- Rienties, B., Divjak, B., Iniesto, F., Pazur Anicic, K., Zizak M. (Submitted: 29-07-2021). Online work-based and work-integrated learning: a systematic literature review. Interactive Learning Environment. Impact factor: 1.722
- Divjak, B, Rienties, B., Iniesto, F., Vondra, P., Žižak, M. (Submitted: 20-09-2021). Flipped Classrooms in Higher Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic Findings and Future Research Recommendations. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education. Impact factor: 2.894.
Dissemination and Use of Projects' Results
As project coordinator, UNIZG FOI defined dissemination manager of the project which developed Dissemination-Communication plan which is a framework for those activities. Also, the following dissemination channels are established:
- Projects web site: https://rapide-project.eu/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Rapide-project-101007765471487
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProjectRapide
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/rapide-project/
- 1st newsletter: https://mailchi.mp/4a0ce9c426b0/rapide-1st-newsletter
Production of dissemination materials and presenting the project to the public and stakeholders will be done through developed visual elements of the project:
- Project logo: https://rapide-project.eu/sites/default/files/2021-06/RAPIDE_logo_news_0.png
- Project brochure: https://rapide-project.eu/sites/default/files/2021-06/RAPIDE%20BROCHURE.pdf
- Project poster: https://rapide-project.eu/sites/default/files/2021-06/RAPIDE-poster-final-a3.pdf
With this project has entered the second reporting phase to be concluded with the project end - in February 2023.