IO4. Code of practice on impact analysis of innovative pedagogies
Start date: 2021-07-01
End date: 2023-02-28
IO4 leader: Goethe University
Teachers and educational decision-makers/ leaders are sometimes skeptical about the impact of the new teaching and learning methods, tools, and models on student achievements.
The available important information and previous research results are scattered and it is usually difficult for teachers to translate them into real-life actions. Therefore, we will gather data and develop code of practice for teachers and HEIs on how to prepare the monitoring and evaluation of new teaching, learning, and assessment practice as well as a framework
of impact analysis on institutional digital transformation plan and other strategic goals of HEI. Besides that, we will monitor the use of innovative pedagogies within the project and the document is as far as it will be possible due to the project timeframe and resources.
UN in its policy brief (2020) emphasised strengthening data and monitoring of learning and it has to be applied at all levels of education. Managing the education crisis requires continuous monitoring of data at the student, teacher, and institution levels. Furthermore, data usage is important to support development, monitoring and evaluating strategies at different levels (Divjak, 2016).
New technologies have enormous potential to provoke changes and enable universities to meet their strategic goals. The educators and policy makers have a duty to embrace the digital transformation and seize the opportunities. HEIs are confronted to question how best to achieve the development of 21st century skills, in particular which teaching and learning approaches are suitable for facilitating or enabling complex skills development (Herodotou et al., 2019). Today many HEIs have fast track already adopted educational technology tools but this change is not necessarily accompanied by respective changes in practice of TL.
Impact analysis is defined as identifying the potential consequences of a change or estimating what needs to be modified to accomplish strategic goals of HEIs.
The aim of this IO is to target HEI policy-makers and educational leaders. Therefore valuable data will be gathered within the project activities and develop code of practice for teachers and especially for policy makers and educational leaders on how to prepare the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of new teaching, learning, and assessment practices.
Further, a framework of impact analysis on digital transformation plan and other strategic goals of HEI will be developed. Also, the use of innovative pedagogies within the project will be monitored and documented.
The development of this output will be organized around the following questions:
- Q7. What kind of data collection about students, TL methods are needed in order to enable the informed decision making on institutional level?
- Q8. How to support HEI to estimate the impact of innovative pedagogies in meeting strategic goals and, in particular, digital transformation by using learning analytics?
- Divjak, B., (2016). Challenges of Strategic Decision-Making within Higher Education and Evaluation of the Strategic Decision. Proceedings of Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems. pp. 41-48.
- Herodotou C. et al. (2019). Innovative Pedagogies of the Future: An Evidence-Based Selection, Institute of Educational Technology, The Open University
- UN Policy Brief: Education during COVID-19 and beyond. August, 2020.