IO3. Dashboard model that supports inclusive FC and WBL
Start date: 2021-10-01
End date: 2022-09-30
IO3 leader: Faculty of Organization and Informatics
Learning analytics (LA) is a set of useful techniques to track and intervene in the learning process in order to improve learning outcomes as well as satisfaction and motivation of students. However, current support of LA in online platforms for FCs is generally at an early stage. There are a few examples available in the literature that go beyond that and only in specific domains (Rubio Fernandez et al., 2019).
There are usually dashboards available with visualizations related to the activity of students with the different problems in a course but a little about main positive effects of FCs. On the other side, augmented information for teachers for the FC methodology and data that support successful implementation is needed to provide teachers with analytic tools to evaluate student progress and plan potential interventions. Naimly, students often lack sufficient skills and proficiency to modify their learning strategies to better suit the specificities of newly encountered learning situations (Jovanović et al, 2017.) and learning how to apply a deep approach to learning needs to be provided based on real data. All that contribute to equal opportunities for students but also to quality of online teaching and learning. Finally, supporting all students to participate in well designed peer assessment are considered in literature but not so often how to give students meaningful feedback when they assess complex tasks (Divjak & Maretić, 2017.).
Further, WBL as an educational approach uses workplace or real work to provide an authentic context for learning. Most of the assessment issues of WBS are related to project assessment and practical skills assessment but also to assessment that stimulate self regulation of learning.
The aim of this IO is to target both teachers and students, to design dashboard models for teachers and students that supports innovative teaching approaches - FC and WBL. It will provide recommendations of the supporting actions for both students and teachers to be more successful in meeting learning outcomes of higher cognitive level. Further, it will offer tips and tricks for teachers including its ethical use of data all that implemented as a chapter in the e-course.
The development of this output will be organized around the questions:
- Q5: How to design dashboards for teachers and students that enhance positive effects of FC approach for all students?
- Q6: How to design dashboards for teachers, students and employers that support WBL and work integrated learning such as work on projects and skills development?
- Divjak, B., Maretić, M. (2017). LearningAnalytics for Peer-assessment: (Dis)advantages, ReliabilityandImplementation. Journal of Information and Organizational Sciences. 41(1).
- Rubio‐Fernández, A., Muñoz‐Merino, P.j., Kloos, C.D. (2019). A learning analytics tool for the support of the flipped classroom. Computer Applications in Engineering Education.
- Jovanović, J., Gašević, D., Dawson, S., Pardo, A., & Mirriahi, N. (2017). Learning analytics to unveil learning strategies in a flipped classroom. The Internet and Higher Education, 33.